This article is featured in the July '07 Feeding Your Family Newsletter
These crisp, roll-it-yourself wraps are perfect for hot weather - and great for little hands that like to make their own meals. You can substitute skirt steak or pork tenderloin for the shrimp, or just make it a vegetarian meal. (See meat marinade recipe below.)
- 16 large tiger prawns
- 1 package of thin rice stick noodles
- 1/2 cup of mint and/or basil leaves
- 1 small head of lettuce, like Bibb or green leaf
- 1 red or yellow pepper, sliced into thin slivers
- 2 scallions, chopped thinly
- 1/2 cup of chopped peanuts
For Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- Juice of 3 limes
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 cup of grated carrots
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Cook the noodles according to directions on the package. Drain and rinse with cold water, then use kitchen scissors or a knife to cut the cooked noodles into 4-inch lengths.
- Peel the shrimp, and sauté in a pan with 1 tablespoon of hot oil. Remove from pan and set it aside.
- Wash and dry the lettuce leaves. Cut the core out of each leaf.
- Mix all the ingredients for the dipping sauce.
- Prepare a large platter or several smaller ones, containing the noodles, lettuce, shrimp, basil, peppers, scallions and chopped peanuts.
- Make your own wraps by placing a lettuce leaf in one hand, and adding whatever ingredients you like, topping off with a spoonful of dipping sauce. Roll up tightly and enjoy!
For Marinade for Beef or Pork
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 shallots, minced
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 tsp. sugar
Mix all ingredients and marinate beef or pork for one hour. Grill or broil until cooked through. Slice thinly.