The Expectant Father
BOOK: The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips, and Advice for Dads-To-Be (Armin A. Brott and Jennifer Ash, $10.95, paperback, 1995, Abbeville Press)A resourceful and helpful book for expectant, new or seasoned fathers - the book's binding would certainly be broken in quickly. Peppered with humor in the form of cartoons, Mom and Dad can enjoy the lessons and directions together.
It specifically debunks the theory that issues of childbirth and childrearing are only women's issues. And how refreshing to read that men's emotions are tied into the experiences of impending fatherhood and are as diverse as women's emotions.
The book provides a month-by-month guide to all of the emotional and financial, as well as physical, changes that Dad-to-be can expect during the pregnancy. The authors have consulted experts in the field, including obstetricians, birth class instructors, psychologists, and sociologists.
The following topics are covered:
- How to afford a pregnancy
- How to juggle your work and family roles
- How to make sense of your conflicting emotions
- What childbirth classes don't teach
- How to start a college fund
- How pregnancy affects your sex life
- How to deal with the obstacles society places in the way of involved fathers