By Mary Lyon
You can make a holiday train to chug around your festive dinner table with a depot at every place setting. Little ones will need only their imaginations, the right candies and a grown-up to handle the glue gun.
What You Need
- 1 roll of Lifesavers, wrapped
- Plain M&M's
- Candy corn
- 4 round red-and-white hard candy mints, unwrapped
- 1 miniature Reese's peanut butter cup, foil-wrapped
- 1 Hershey foil-wrapped "Nugget" (or 1 Nestlé "Treasure")
- Medium-heat glue gun
1. Begin with the Lifesavers, glue gun and the four mints. The Lifesavers will be the body of the locomotive, so don't unroll them. The mints will be the wheels. Unwrap the mints and glue two on each side of the front of the roll, and two more on each side of the back. Let the glue set for a few seconds.
2. The smoke stack is an upside-down mini Reese's peanut butter cup. Don't unwrap it. Glue it, upside down, on top of the front of the Lifesaver roll, between the two front mint wheels.
3. The imaginary conductor will sit in back, in a housing made of one Hershey's "Nuggets" bar. Don't unwrap it. Glue it in place on top of the back of the Lifesaver roll, between the two back mint wheels.
4. Decorate the front of your locomotive with three pieces of candy corn. Put a small amount of glue in the middle of the flat front of the roll. Position the three candy corns, pointed tips into the glue, so the wide ends slant down, together, and touch your work surface.
5. Add "lights" to your train engine by gluing a yellow M&M headlight to the front of the Lifesavers roll, just above the candy corn. Then take a red and a green M&M and glue each to the side of the Hershey's "Nugget."