Surprise Mom for Mother\'s Day with this quick and simple craft. She can keep some special treasures inside, and all she has to do is grab the center of the "sun" and lift! You\'ll impress everyone with the beauty you can create from a pile of humble pull-tabs from soda cans. As always, have someone a little older help with the glue gun.
What You Need
- 1 empty 4.5-inch diameter round cheese box (for Camembert or Brie)
- 1 sheet of blue "fun foam"
- 1 clean yellow or orange plastic lid from a juice bottle
- 33 clean soda can pull-tabs
- medium-heat glue gun
What You Do
1. Cover the top and bottom of your cheese box with the "fun foam." Turn the lid upside down on the foam sheet. Draw around the lid on the foam with a pencil, then cut along the line you drew. Glue it in place on top with the glue gun. Repeat this step with the bottom of the cheese box. Let the glue set for about 30 seconds.
2. Now, start building the sunburst on top of the lid. Center the orange or yellow plastic lid on top, and glue in place. Let the glue set.
3. Now make the sun rays. Arrange 12 pull-tabs around the lid so they fan out like rays from the sun. Glue them in place one by one, and let the glue set.
4. Finish the box by adding more pull-tabs all around the outside of the lid. One by one, glue the pull-tabs in place, standing them vertically. It\'s easiest to attach them at a rate of three or four at a time, allowing the glue to set at each step. Leave just a tiny gap between each pull-tab. Keep working until you\'ve gone all the way around.
Mary Lyon is the author of The Frazzled Working Woman\'s Practical Guide to Motherhood and former host of DIY Crafts TV show. For previous Crafty Mom projects, check out the Crafty Mom Archives.