To help prevent waterborne illness, the national Centers for Disease Control (CDC) offers these healthy swimming tips:
• Don’t swim when you have diarrhea.
• Don’t swallow pool water.
• Shower before swimming, and wash your hands after using the bathroom or changing diapers.
• Take children on frequent bathroom breaks, and check diapers often.
• Change diapers in the bathroom, not at poolside where germs can spread to surfaces in and around the pool.
• Wash your young child – especially the diaper area – with soap and water before swimming.
For more information, visit www.cdc.gov/healthyswimming.
Find more Summer Safety Tips in our Summer Safety Survival Guide.
More Health Notes
Christina Elston is a freelance writer specializing in health issues.