If you are all cooked out after Thanksgiving, this is the recipe for you. Although it takes 15 minutes to prepare, it has that been-in-the-kitchen-all-day flavor. I suggest here the standard trio of soup vegetables - onion, carrot and celery - but feel free to use any vegetables you have on hand. Chopped zucchini or green beans, added in the last minutes before serving, give a fresh bright quality to the soup.
- 4 to 6 cups of turkey stock
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 2 cups of leftover turkey meat, chopped, or 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 rib of celery or fennel, chopped
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 10-oz. can of plum tomatoes, chopped, juice reserved
- 1. Heat turkey stock in large pot.
- 2. Sauté chopped vegetables in oil until soft. Add ground turkey meat, if using, and sauté, breaking into small pieces.
- 3. Add vegetables, turkey, beans, tomatoes and reserved tomato juice to stock. Heat thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
- Larissa Phillips