This article is featured in the August '07 Feeding Your Family Newsletter
This classic Spanish soup is best made early in the day and chilled for several hours or even overnight. Like many recipes from the Old World, it's all about what you have on hand. Just keep the tomatoes as the bulk of the recipe, to ensure a characteristic red color.
- 4 to 5 (or more) ripe red tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped o 1 red pepper, chopped o bottle of tomato juice or V-8
- 1 red onion, chopped o 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. basil, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
For a little more kick, use:
- 1 jalapeño or serrano pepper, minced
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Put everything into a blender, and blend to the consistency you prefer. Some like it very processed, others like it a little chunky.
- Refrigerate for several hours, if possible.
- Serve with spicy peppers, for adults who want a kick.
- Larissa Phillips