This is a simple Japanese rice bowl, easily adapted to whatever you have on hand – and also easily multiplied for shares. You can substitute leftover chicken or steak, sliced hardboiled eggs, or tofu. I break with tradition by using brown rice. Note: Cut the avocado right before serving.
• 2 cups cooked brown rice
• 1 filet smoked fish, such as trout, mackerel or salmon.
• 1/2 cup radish, such as daikon, grated
• 2 scallions, thinly sliced
• 1 avocado, halved, shelled and cut into cubes.
• A sprinkling of sesame seeds and shredded nori
• 1/4 cup each of soy sauce and brown rice vinegar
• 1/8 cup maple syrup
• 1-inch knob of ginger, grated
1. Assemble two bowls or lunch containers: first the rice, then the other ingredients. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and nori if desired.
2. Mix the ingredients for the sauce together.
3. Sprinkle donburi lightly with sauce just before serving.