|Popping Tips for Good Old-Fashioned Popcorn |
Nothingís better than a great batch of popcorn. Here are a few tips for perfect popping, every time.
Looking to spice up your party with popcorn? Here are a few topping favorites:
- Garlic salt
- Parmesan cheese
- Dry taco seasoning mix
- Dry ranch-style seasoning mix
- Lemon pepper
- Italian herbs: oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme, and crushed rosemary.
- French herbs: marjoram, thyme, summer savory, basil, rosemary, sage, and fennel
- Cinnamon, brown sugar, nutmeg
There are countless tasty treats you can make using popcorn. Be creative and have fun. For more scrumptious snacking ideas, visit the popcorn people on the Web at www.popcorn.org.
Happy Halloween Mini Popcorn Balls
10 cups popped corn
1 (1-lb.) bag miniature marshmallows
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
1 cup diced dried fruit (papaya, mango or peaches)
1 cup butterscotch chips
Orange food coloring
- Place popcorn, fruit and butterscotch chips in large bowl; set aside.
- Heat marshmallows and butter in a large saucepan over low heat until melted and smooth. Stir in several drops of food coloring. Pour over popcorn, fruit and candy, tossing to coat evenly. Cool 5 minutes.
- Grease hands and form into 3-inch balls.
Yield: About 16 balls
(Based on 1 serving)
Total Calories 250; Total Fat 8g; Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium 60mg; Carbohydrate 43g; Fiber 1g; Sugars 31g; Protein 2g
Popcorn Granola Snack Bars
1/2 cup honey
2/3 cup peanut butter
1 cup granola cereal
1 cup roasted and salted peanuts
3 cups popped popcorn
Line an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan with foil. Spray foil lightly with cooking spray; set aside. Heat honey in a large saucepan until boiling. Stir in peanut butter until well blended. Remove pan from heat and stir in granola, peanuts and popcorn until coated. Press mixture evenly into prepared pan. Refrigerate until cool; cut into bars to serve.
(Based on 1 serving)
Total Calories 190; Total Fat 12g; Saturated Fat 2g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 110mg; Carbohydrate 8g; Fiber 2g; Sugars 11g; Protein 6g
Caramel Almond Popcorn Clusters
10 cups freshly popped popcorn
2 cups whole almonds
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Spray 15 x 10 baking sheet with non-stick spray. Mix popcorn and almonds in large bowl.
- Combine brown sugar, butter and corn syrup in medium saucepan. Over low heat, stir mixture until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and boil 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla, almond extract and baking soda.
- Pour over popcorn and almonds, immediately stirring gently to coat. Pour mixture onto prepared baking sheet, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 1 hour in preheated oven. Cool completely. Break into pieces and store in airtight container.
Yield: 20 pieces
(Based on a 1 piece serving)
Total calories: 210 Fat: 14 g Carbohydrate: 19 g Sugar: 14 g Fiber: 1 g Protein: 3 g
Sodium 120 mg: Cholesterol 10 mg