Apparently the idea of school uniforms is one whose time has come. Approximately one-third of the students in
School uniforms were first made mandatory in an urban public school in 1994, when
T-FAMILY: Verdana">School uniforms have always prompted debate over whether limiting the fashion choices of students eliminates a difficult, and expensive, part of peer pressure. Proponents believe uniforms even the playing field, while opponents cite the need for kids to express themselves and their individuality through personal appearance.
Why are more schools turning to uniforms? This past April, five key findings emerged from “Implementing a School Uniform Policy,” a study that focused on the
• Regular use of uniforms can help improve school safety.
• Regular use of uniforms can help improve students’ classroom behavior.
• The affordability of school uniforms versus everyday clothing contributes to wide acceptance of the adoption of such a policy.
• Uniforms can help reduce student competition and concerns about fitting in.
• Uniforms may contribute to improved student outcomes, including grades and test scores.The findings aren’t really new, just further confirmation of earlier studies that found significant benefits to school uniforms.