Feeding Your Family: Scrumptious Strawberry Shortcake
Summer is all about this classic dessert. Sometimes we skip the biscuits, and just serve strawberries with whipped cream!
1 quart strawberries, trimmed of stems and sliced
1 Tbs., plus 1/4 cup, sugar
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup unbleached flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
6 Tbs. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
About 6 Tbs. cold water
1. Put the strawberries into a bowl with the tablespoon of sugar. Mash slightly with a fork to release the juice. Leave to macerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly butter a cookie tray.
3. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix with a fork or whisk.
4. Add the butter and use a fork (or pastry blender or your fingers) to combine until the mixture resembles cornmeal.
5. Add the cold water and whisk with a fork. Then use your hands to work together into a ball. Don\'t overmix or the shortcake will be tough.
6. For children, scoop out balls of dough about the size of a golf ball, and flatten slightly on the cookie tray. For adults, they can be slightly larger. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until lightly browned, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.