This quick dessert is so packed with good things, leftovers could double as breakfast. It's also a great dessert for kids to help make; they love to mix in the butter with their hands!
- 8 - 10 plums, halved, pitted and sliced
- 2 Tbs. white sugar
- 1 Tbs., plus 1/3 cup, whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 6 Tbs. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine white sugar, the tablespoon of flour and spices in a large bowl, and add plums. Mix well to evenly coat. Place in buttered 8-inch-square baking pan.
- In another bowl, mix oats, remaining flour, brown sugar, walnuts and butter. Use a pastry blender, a fork or your fingers to combine until mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Evenly distribute the oatmeal mixture over plums. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. If you want it really crisp, put it under the broiler for about 2 minutes - but watch carefully! Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.