This is the same grain used in tabouli, but it also makes a delicious and very simple side dish. Tossed with olive oil and lemon, it is an ideal dish for kids who like one-color foods like plain rice.
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1-1/2 cups bulgur
- Vinaigrette for Bulgur
- Juice from half a lemon
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped (optional)
1. In a small pot, bring the water to a boil.
2. In a large pan, heat the olive oil and sauté the onion until soft. Add the bulgur and stir into the olive oil until the grains are evenly coated.
3. Add the hot water. Stir again, and then cover. Cook for 15 minutes over low heat. Turn off the heat, and let stand for another 15 minutes, until water has been absorbed. (If it seems dry, add another splash of water.)
4. Whisk the ingredients for the vinaigrette and toss with cooked bulgur and parsley, if desired. Add salt to taste.