This article is featured in the December '07 Feeding Your Family Newsletter
By Larissa Phillips
This is a basic formula for any root vegetables you have on hand. Try substituting squash, brussels sprouts and fennel. But, to keep the dish beautiful, make sure you include the purple beets and carrots or orange squash.
- 3 carrots
- 1 bunch small purple beets
- 2 parsnips
- 1 onion
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Wash and trim the vegetables. Cut them into 2-inch pieces.
- Place in a heavy baking dish. Toss vegetables with the olive oil and sea salt.
- Cover tightly with foil, and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes more.
- Serve as a side dish, or use as a roasted vegetable salad with whole grains and feta the next day.