Pregnancy is a wonderful and special time in a woman's life, but sometimes expectant moms miss the little indulgences in life they just cannot participate in while pregnant. Heavy athletics are a no-no, highlighting your hair is a big gamble, and sipping your favorite alcohol-based holiday cocktail is out of the question.
But you can enjoy these alcohol-free "mocktails." They're mommy and baby friendly - just right for winter baby showers or to serve to pregnant or nursing friends at holiday parties!
Mama-garita (1 serving)
- 2/3 cup lemon-flavored water
- 2 tsp. margarita mix
- 1 lemon wedge
- 1 lime wedge
- A dash of lemon juice
- A spritz of sparkling water for light carbonation
- Powdered sugar to garnish edges of glass
Add blended ice if you prefer a blended drink.
Belly Colada (1 serving)
- 2/3 cup peach-flavored water
- 1 part blended ice
- Fresh peach chunks, or canned peach chunks in light syrup if fresh peaches are out of season (as many as you'd like)
- 1 Tbsp. coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. whole milk (or calcium-fortified lactose-free milk for lactose intolerant moms)
- 1 coconut wedge to garnish glass
Big Tummy-tini (1 serving)
- 2/3 cup berry-flavored water
- 5 Tbsp. blended fresh strawberries and raspberries
- A generous spritz of sparkling water for light carbonation
- 3 drops fresh lemon juice
Berry Baby-licious Hot Toddy (1 serving)
- 1 cup berry-flavored water
- 5 halved cranberries
- 3 tangerine slices
- 2 or 3 whole cloves (to taste)
Cut tangerines crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick rounds and remove seeds. Stud rind of each tangerine round with cloves. In a large saucepan simmer berry-flavored water and tangerine rounds, covered, for 5 minutes. Serve in heatproof glass.
Ginger Hot-Tot Toddy (1 serving)
Great for easing pregnancy nausea!
- 1 cup lemon-flavored water
- 1 piece fresh ginger
- 3 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 slice of lemon
Serve warm with freshly baked gingerbread!
Tips courtesy of Saphia Water www.saphiawater.com, a nutrient-enhanced and naturally flavored beverage for expectant and nursing moms.